Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ducklings

You know how we have our favorite creek? This is our favorite ..pond :o)
I think it's important to explore many different habitats.
We find a variety of plant and animal life in ponds
(which I'm determined to make time to blog in more detail for later posts. )
As for this day..we were greeted by a well known pond visitor
A mama duck and her 2 ducklings! She is a Muscovy Duck
and she's helping her duckling over a branch in the waterkeeping them closeand teaching them to find foodthis little fellow reminds me of my own ducklingscurious :o)
and cute, yesThe time we spent with this little family was full of fun
and full of new questions to be answered such as..
"how long will mama duck protect her ducklings?"
"do ducks have teeth?"
"where do they sleep?" "what do they eat?"
"do they have any predators?
sounds like a trip to our library and more duckling observation!

until our next pond visit...

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sweet!
Quack.

Maggie May said...

the photo above the word 'curious' is PRICELESS. frame it for your kids rooms!

Tara said...

The photographs here are stunning ~ all that ducky goodness!
Have fun with your research at the library!

Phyllis said...

Wow! So beautiul. I felt that I was right there with you. Thanks for that gift.

Anet said...

Aww... heart melting!

Dawn Suzette said...

Love all the questions that come up... You captured them wonderfully! Such an amazing experience to be that close to those new little lives!

Chris said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos! We've been to a junior farmers program the past few months, and the kids loved carrying around their little ducklings every week and filling their little pool with grass to eat.

What type of camera do you use? I'd love to get better picture quality.

Shona Leah said...

Thank-you Chris!
I <3 my Canon Rebel XTi and my 50mm f1.4 lens