Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Big Day for Maya

Honey Oatmeal Cookies
to be shared with Maya's theatre class tonight,
they've prepared a skit for the parents!
And Maya told the teacher she'd be making cookies from "scrap"

butter, sugar, brown sugar
eggs, flour, vanilla, raisins

and her favorite ingredient..honey combined with oats

make for a yummy cookie! She was distracted by the window
but kept on rolling that doughsquooshy messy fun


this kids got skills
and imagination
Arrrrgh
it's a cookie pirate
She placed them in even rows
and counted them
before I put them in the oven


..then exhaustion hit
with a touch of dramatics and with her apron still on
she takes a much needed nap for the big night ahead of her.


My little actress rested, dressed
and only a little smudge of dinner left on her mouth :o)

...smiles

and hugs from friends



They performed an excerpt from
"Gooney Bird Greene and her true life adventures" By Lois Lowry
Maya played the role of "Chelsea"

She remembered all of her lines and not a cookie was left!

A great ending to a big day

10 comments:

Dawn Suzette said...

Wonderful Shona... Wish I could have tasted those cookies and watched your performance Maya!
So awesome you have all of these opportunities to be involved with things like this!

Have you guys tried making Grunch?
Handful of oatmeal, 2 Tbs. peanut butter, 2 Tbs. honey... mix all and roll in balls...
Add more of any ingredient to get the right texture so things will stick but not be too sticky! SOOOO yummy! Great snack!

Tara said...

Congrats Maya! I do love Lois Lowry ~ I'm sure the play was brilliant :)

P.S. Those cookies looks yummo Maya ~ You'll be a big help to your Mama with Thanksgiving Day cookin' !

Shona Leah said...

Thank-you both! She likes ballet, but really wants to be more vocal with her outlet, so this acting class has been wonderful. There is so much this city offers, I'm truly thankful for that.

and Grunch..that sounds like my kind of snack! We'll have to make that for sure, another favorite of ours is pb rolled with confection sugar mmm and when dipped in chocolate oh yeah mmm!

Phyllis said...

Hi, there,
I just found your blog and I absolutely love it. It is exactly like how I want my blog. I will savor your posts and learn from them.
Thanks for sharing.
-Phyllis

Shona Leah said...

Hi Phyllis! Thank-you so much for that kind comment, it's nice to meet you ~Shona

Lisa said...

Yummy cookies! Great job Maya. So she's the little acrtress? I've been wanting Araina to try some drama classes, but she's not interested right now. Maybe later.

lisa

sarah said...

fun cookie makin' time, so neat to see her so happy about her acting class.

isolada. by design said...

And there's that beautiful face in your amazing portraiture. Dreamy and wonderful, Shona, you and your little girl! A happy day and evening spent. And for this we give thanks.

Peace and love...Ana

Dawn Suzette said...

Oh, Shona you descibed exactly what I used to make with my mom! They are too yummy! Those were always made at the holidays and included in the boxes we would make up with cookies and deliver to elderly friends we had around town. You brought back some memories with that recipe!

Shona Leah said...

Lisa, they play a lot of games with memorization, role playing, verbal, non-verbal communication, it's really been fun for her.
As a memory game they each had to come up with a name for themselves using the 1st letter of their name..so Maya thought she should be "Muffin Maya" At the end of class, I heard her friends saying "bye muffin" :D
We've found some great books too on acting for kids, I'll have to post those for Araina, she's so expressive, I could see her enjoying acting classes.



Dawn, we usually make them around the holidays too! My mom didn't cook, but she knew how to make the yummiest candies and those were by far my favorite.

Ana <3 I'm so thankful for you.

and I'm thankful for my sweet blogging friends too :o)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!